Kick off spring and turn your mind to all things outdoors with the Progressive Insurance Northwest Sportshow at the Minneapolis Convention Center, this year from March 21 – 24! Check out hundreds of exhibits featuring the newest products for boating, hunting, fishing, camping, and traveling, plus activities for all ages and skill levels.
This year’s sportshow includes Super Thursday on March 21, when showgoers attending after 5 pm can gain entry for only $5 and enjoy Thursday-only pricing on a variety of boats and outdoor products, drink and food specials, and more.
As always, the event is full of educational and family-friendly events including:
- NEW! SEA LIFE’s ‘Brave the Rainforest’ Exhibit. Visitors can go face to fear with creepy crawlers and curious critters at this new and interactive exhibit. Discover creature features during daily ‘Animal Talks’, explore interactive stations with animal artifacts and games, and snap a selfie with some weird and wacky rainforest creatures. The bravest little Rainforest Rangers can color a reusable backpack to take on their next adventure (while supplies last).
- NEW! Meet the ‘Young Sticks’ of the outdoors industry. Seminars this year will feature a new generation of anglers and outdoor influencers including Natalie Dillon (known as “Nattie Up North”), Trevor Lo, Chad Smith and John Hoyer. Topics include spring walleye fishing, fishing and social media, river bass fishing and more!
- NEW! Crestliner’s Angling Aces and Career Day, Friday, March 22. A must attend for anyone interested in a career in the marine industry can visit the Crestliner seminar room to hear from Crestliner pros and learn more about the business and job opportunities.
- NEW! Progressive Insurance Boat Club. In partnership with the Annapolis School of Seamanship, the Boat Club offers attendees the chance to master their docking skills at the docking pool or take a spin at a Virtual Reality boating experience.
- Lowrance Marine Electronics University. Lowrance is returning with its impressive display of the latest marine electronics technology available for hands-on demonstration.
- Hawg Trough Fishing Demonstration. A returning fan favorite, the Hawg Trough is a 10,000-gallon tank with a variety of Minnesota-native fish. Professional anglers will show visitors casting techniques and the best bait types.
- National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony happens Saturday, March 23 at 5 pm with new inductees Ray Dupuis, Chip Leer, and Matt Straw.
- Free fun for the kids:
- Kids’ Create-a-Crankbait. Hosted this year by the Women Anglers Association, this popular feature allows kids to create their own crankbait. Participants will be given a rattling crankbait plastic body to color and decorate with stick-on lure features.
- Adventure Trail Pass. Kids can learn about the outdoors as they follow the Adventure Trail map to visit stations throughout the show, which can be picked up in the NWTF Wild Turkey Room. Stops on the Adventure Trail include the Minneapolis DNR Laser Shot Gallery, Ducks Unlimited Room, Create-a-Crankbait and the Trout Pond. Kids who visit all of the stations and return their map to the Wild Turkey Room will receive a prize (while supplies last).
- Fishing at the Trout Pond. Always a fan favorite, the Trout Pond is a destination for kids to practice their angling skills while catching and releasing live trout for free.
- Ducks Unlimited Room. The Ducks Unlimited seminars will educate visitors of all ages about waterfowl and conservation of their native wetlands. Opportunities to contribute to the future of waterfowl hunting will be present through silent auctions, raffles and free Duck Decoy painting for kids (while supplies last).
- Wild Turkey Room, presented by the Minnesota Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF). NWTF staff and turkey hunting experts from throughout Minnesota will be on hand to talk turkey hunting, answer questions and help visitors get ready for the wild turkey hunting season.
- Licenses for outdoors activities. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources will be at the show to issue hunting and fishing licenses.
2019 Northwest Sportshow Info:
Thursday, March 21, 1 – 9 pm
Friday, March 22, 12 – 9 pm
Saturday, March 23, 10 am – 8 pm
Sunday, March 24, 10 am – 5 pm
Minneapolis Convention Center
1301 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Tickets are regularly priced at $14 for adults and free for children 12 and under with paid adult. Active military are free with ID. Senior Day is Thursday, March 21, where 62+ ticket price is $11. Tickets can be purchased in advance at www.NorthwestSportshow.com or onsite the day of the show.
Northwest Sporsshow Discount Tickets Code:
Purchase in advance online and save! Use the coupon code BOATGO1 to get your tickets buy one, get one free.
Reader Giveaway: One lucky Thrifty Minnesota reader will win four (4) tickets to the 2019 Northwest Sportshow. To enter, just complete the entry form below by 11:59 pm ET on 3/18/19. Good luck!
2019 Northwest Sportshow 4-Pack Tickets Giveaway
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Laura is a former high school English teacher turned avid deal shopper following the birth of her first child. Now she’s a work-from-home mom of six which keeps her plenty busy!
Laura grew up in southern Minnesota and has called the Twin Cities home for over fifteen years. On the off chance she gets some free time you’ll find her with her nose in a book, spending time with family and friends, or enjoying a hot cup of coffee.