This winter seems like it is stretching on FOREVER! Starting tomorrow, you can gain a little reprieve at the annual Macy’s Flower Show. This year’s theme, The Painted Garden: Gardens by Bachman’s, is an explosion of color celebrating Asian design, culture and beauty.
The focal piece of the show is an amazing 10 foot Elephant, which is covered with a floral blanket made of all natural elements including strawflowers, buttonflowers, coffee, lavender and more. The elephant is topped with a royal howdah (carriage) teeming with more colorful plants and flowers
Here are some fun facts about the show:
- Approximately 24 truckloads of plants, flowers and soil comprise the Flower Show which total nearly 120 varieties and several thousand plants.
- Construction begins in January and requires 3,000 hours of labor to complete with the support of more than 40 locally based electricians, florists, landscapers, artists, carpenters and visual specialists.
- It takes 9 days to plant the full Flower Show display and 4 days to uninstall it.
- More than 180 cubic yards of soil is moved into the Auditorium to create 4,000 square feet of landscape.
- Each year, more than 65,000 people come to view the Flower Show during its 2 week run.
- The average temperature inside the Auditorium during Flower Show is 65 degrees.
- The soundtrack for the show is custom-made locally in the Twin Cities and is used at all 5 flower shows across the United States .
The show runs from Sunday, March 24 through Sunday, April 7, 2013, in the 8th Floor Auditorium of Macy’s Downtown Minneapolis store during store hours. There is a wide range of other in-store events planned including cooking demos, art demonstrations, and more. Find more information and the complete event schedule here.