The stars, planets, and all the things “out there” are sometimes difficult to see with the naked eye. Get a glimpse at the wonders of our solar system through the free Universe in the Park program hosted by the Minnesota Institute for Astrophysics and area state and local parks.
At these events scheduled throughout the summer, you’ll hear a short public talk and see a slide show covering a variety of astronomical topics, then (weather permitting) you’ll have the opportunity to view the sky through a telescope. You’ll also be able to ask the presenters any questions you like.
These events are free to the public, but note that a vehicle permit is usually required to enter the parks. Events are scheduled Fridays and Saturdays in July and August. Presentations typically run from 8:45 to 10 or 11 pm, including telescope observing.
Here’s the schedule for Summer 2022:
- Friday, July 1 – William O’Brien State Park (Marine on St. Croix)
- Friday, July 8 – Dodge Nature Center (West St. Paul)
- Saturday, July 9 – Lowry Nature Center (Victoria – Carver campground)
- Saturday, July 16 – Eastman Nature Center (Dayton)
- Friday, July 22 – Afton State Park (Hastings)
- Saturday, July 23 – Nerstrand Big Woods State Park (Nerstrand)
- Friday, July 29 – Dodge Nature Center (Cottage Grove)
- Saturday, July 30 – Eastman Nature Center (Dayton)
- Friday, August 5 – William O’Brien State Park (Marine on St. Croix)
- Saturday, August 6 – Lowry Nature Center (Victoria – at the Nature Center)
- Friday, August 12 – Gooseberry Falls State Park (Two Harbors)
- Saturday, August 13 – Tettegouche State Park (Silver Bay)
- Friday, August 19 – Mille Lacs Kathio State Park (Onamia)
- Saturday, August 20 – Father Hennepin State Park (Isle)
- Saturday, August 27 – Afton State Park (Hastings)
Visit the U of M website for more information.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Laura is a former high school English teacher turned avid deal shopper following the birth of her first child. Now she’s a work-from-home mom of six which keeps her plenty busy!
Laura grew up in southern Minnesota and has called the Twin Cities home for over fifteen years. On the off chance she gets some free time you’ll find her with her nose in a book, spending time with family and friends, or enjoying a hot cup of coffee.
Leave a Reply